Quick and Easy
by Gina Otto
Create Your Own
Assignments on line - Use a Pre-made
lesson or create your own
Back to Top
- When creating your web pages, you can link each assignment to the
handout document you created in Word by entering a link on the
assignment page to that document, so the pages open in their own window..
- Always update your pages regularly - add new links, check old ones
Top Ten List of Bad Design
- Under Construction signs - the whole Internet is under continual
If you have a page that is not ready for prime time, simply cut the
to it until it is.
- Slow web page download - usually due to large graphic files
(more than 50k worth of image files on the home page and 100k of image
files on sub-pages).
- Problems with links - broken links, missing graphics.
- Too many different fonts, font sizes, and/or colors.
- Too many visual distractions: animations, blinking text.
- No design elements or no consistency in design elements.
- No navigation or no consistency in navigation.
- Tacky backgrounds - really loud and/or distracting background
- Too much text - not enough white space, too much scrolling, no
Contents, no Links to the Top at regular intervals.
Top Ten List of Good Web Design
- Little text on home page and plenty of white space.
- No more than three 8-1/2 x 11" pages of content on any sub-page.
- The first screen (what appears in the browser window when the
page first loads) has enough in it to identify all important
navigation, links and interesting aspects of the page.
- A consistent web site theme.
- A clean, easy to read and navigate layout, design and color
scheme that is relevant to the target audience and to the content.
- A prominent header or title that incorporates a combination of
graphics and links.
- Page footers with a duplicate set of links to other web pages in
the site and basic information about the origin of the page, e-mail
contact, and date of last revision of page.
- Use of table of contents (index) and anchored (targeted) subheads
at top of page for quick content scanning.
- Only essential images that download quickly and support the
content are included. (no more than 50k worth of image files on the
homepage and 100k of image files on sub-pages.)
- Sparing, tasteful use of icons and symbols.
Updated April, 2021